Friday, November 14, 2008

My two weeks off work

Wow, who knew owning a house was so much work. Don't get me wrong, I love doing the "handy man" thing but only having less than two weeks to get everything done and ready to move in. That was a challenge. I made it though. Didn't and still haven't completed my list, but I did get it livable.

I have to say, I have the best Mother and Father In-law one could wish for. We had to paint the whole house (inside) and I didn't have to touch a paint brush at all. Al & Susan are the best! If not for them we would still be painting.

Some of the "Major" projects included:

  • Patched all the holes in the wall that the previous owners punch/kicked in.
  • Replacing the master bath tubs water faucet. Had to rip out the wall. Got to "sweat" pipes for the first time and didn't burn down the house. That a plus!

  • Run CAT5 and Cable to the office and game room!! An office with no cable or phone line. Go figure. Had to drill through almost two feet of support beams from the second floor, no joke.


  • Fix the down stairs bathroom toilet. The tank was just sitting on the boll with nothing, not even the seal. No bolts or toilet guts.
  • Fix the down stairs bathrooms "Pocket" door. Rollers were bad.
  • Replaced some CGFI electrical outlets
  • Mend the fence.
  • Added a couple safety features to the playscape. Trying to put off the broken legs/arms as long a possible.

Still on the list:

  • Re-Wire the whole house for Vonage. This will be cool.
  • Water seal the deck and playscape
  • Fix the upstairs master toilet
  • Hang the other blinds in the windows
  • Replace some electrical outlets & new covers
  • Let my finger heal before I stab it again with the power drill!! Yep, twice in less the 2 days. Now that's good training!
  • And anything else that comes up.


I will post some before & after shots as soon as we finish unpacking.

No comments: